To meet the Club’s Sustainability Policy a management framework is required to ensure that sustainability programmes and initiatives are managed and maintained over and beyond the regular Committee replacement cycles and changes in personnel.
The Club aims to manage and reduce its impact on the environment and related communities by developing initiatives based on the following principles.
- Limit carbon emissions by reducing electricity consumption through monitoring and reporting on usage and through investment in energy efficient technologies for both operations and transportation, and by investing in renewable energy sources.
- Control and limit waste generated in all aspects of operations and reduce (and eventually eliminate) the use of single-use plastics.
- Increase recycling and reuse of waste generated in operations and quality of waste recycled.
- Raise awareness of sustainability issues among the Club’s members and staff and integrate sustainability considerations into training programmes and decision-making by all stakeholders.
- Develop partnerships with not-for-profit organisations and academia focussed on sustainability issues.Commit suppliers to engaging in principles 1 to 3 through focused purchasing decisions.
- Commit suppliers to engaging in principles 1 to 3 through focused purchasing decisions.
- Commit the club to sourcing products that are ethically and sustainability produced.
- Increase the Club’s profile in Hong Kong and Internationally as a leader in sustainability initiatives.
- In order to develop these programmes a baseline of the Club’s current position and performance must be established by June 2020.
Based on the principles set out above, the Club aims to achieve the following goals by 2024. Percentage targets are relative to baselines for the financial year ended 30 June 2020.
- The Sustainability Working Group will review and report on the Club’s progress towards these goals, and the goals themselves, every six months and review the implementation progress and targets as necessary.
- Reduction in overall electricity consumption on 2019 baseline; a proportion of electricity used coming from renewable energy sources.
- Establishment of a fund dedicated for funding sustainability projects for the Club.
- Reduction in waste going to landfill.
- Increase in the recycling of wastes.
- Reduction in paper usage.
- Reduction in water usage.
- Reduction in single use plastic.
- Increase in participation (by headcount) in sustainability related activities.
- Implementation of mandatory sustainability training for all staff.